Men’s Hockey Loses Third Period Lead 5-3 To UW-Stout

Posted on January 9th, 2016 by

Evan Erickson fires a shot on goal against UW-Stout. (photo by Jessica Williams, Gustavus Sports Information)


ST. PETER, Minn. – The Gustavus men’s hockey team battled back and forth with the University of Wisconsin-Stout for the first two periods Saturday night at Don Roberts Ice Rink and held a one-goal lead, but the Blue Devils rallied for three third period goals, handing the Gusties a 5-3 loss. The Gusties fall to 3-8-2 overall, while the Blue Devils move to 7-4-3.

After a slashing call put UW-Stout on the power play four minutes into the game, it responded 21 seconds into the man-advantage for an early 1-0 lead. Gustavus found itself in its first power play opportunity of the night at the 11:36 mark and responded with a goal late in the power play. Van Sullivan (Fy., Brentwood, Tenn.) scored on a deflection from Sam Majka (Jr., Wayzata, Minn.) and Gavin Tufte (Sr., Blaine, Minn.). The goal was Sullivan’s second of the season and the two squads entered the first intermission tied 1-1.

Drew Aspinwall scored his second goal of the season. (photo by Jessica Williams)

Drew Aspinwall scored his second goal of the season. (photo by Jessica Williams)

The Blue Devils quickly regained the lead at the 2:16 mark in the second period. But once again, the Gusties answered with a power play goal nine minutes later. Evan Erickson (Fy., Woodbury, Minn.) took advantage of a wide-open net for a one-time goal, his third of the season, assisted by Majka and Tufte. With less than two minutes remaining in the period, Drew Aspinwall (Jr., Maple Grove, Minn.) scored the goal-ahead goal on a one-timer from the top of the point. Aspinwall’s second goal of the season came on assists from Jake McCann (So., Shoreview, Minn.) and Colin Hernon (So., Bloomington, Minn.). Gustavus led 3-2 at the second intermission.

The third period was all UW-Stout, though, as it scored the equalizer at the 2:09 mark and what proved to be the game-winner with eight minutes remaining in the game. Gustavus pulled goalie Chris Amsden (Fy., St. Peter, Minn.) for the final minute and UW-Stout’s Joe Anderson took advantage of a turnover to score on the empty net for a hat trick and a 5-3 final. Amsden finished with 27 saves.

UW-Stout outshot Gustavus 33-22 and went 1-for-2 on the power play. Gustavus won the faceoff battle 40-34 and went 2-for-3 on the power play.

The Gusties return to Don Roberts Ice Rink next weekend for a Friday game against UW-Superior, followed by Saturday’s matchup with UW-River Falls on Parents Weekend.


Comments are closed.