The Gustavus men’s tennis team fell to 1-2 on the season with a 6-1 loss to the University of Hawai’i Rainbow Warriors Saturday in Honolulu. The Gusties won only two of nine matches, with John Kauss (Fr., St. Paul, Minn.) picking up the lone point with a win at #6 singles.
Kauss battled hard in his match with Jeff Fitch to avoid the shutout, prevailing in three sets (2-6, 6-2, 6-4).
Senior Loren Collins (Dallas, Texas) and junior Jesse Brauer (Mankato, Minn.) picked up the other Gustie win at #2 doubles with an 8-5 win over Bryon Weinberg and Fitch. Collins and Brauer were elevated to #2 doubles after Andy Bryan (So., Edina, Minn.) was forced to the sidelines with a rolled ankle. Bryan’s doubles partner, older brother Roy, teamed with Mike Burdakin at #3 doubles, but fell to Sascha Heinemann and Chad Faulk 8-5.
Collins saw his two-match winning streak at #1 singles come to an end with a 6-2, 6-3 loss to Heinemann.
Gustavus will host Minnesota State Mankato (9 a.m.) and Bethel (6 p.m.) next Saturday.
University of Hawai`i 6, Gustavas Adolphus 1
1. Sascha Heinemann def. Loren Collins (GAC), 6-2, 6-3
2. Bryon Weinberg def. Adam Morgan (GAC), 6-2, 6-3
3. Ryan Sceats def. Jesse Brauer (GAC), 6-1, 6-3
4. Chad Faulk def. Andy Bryan (GAC), 6-4, 6-2
5. Jarrod Diepraam def. Brett Morse-Karzen (GAU), 6-0, 6-4
6. John Kauss (GAC) def. Jeff Fitch, 2-6, 6-2, 6-4
Doubles (must win 2 of 3 matches for one team point)
1. Sceats/Diepraam def. Morse-Karzen/Morgan (GAC), 8-3
2. Collins/Brauer (GAC) def. Weinberg/Fitch, 8-5
3. Heinemann/Faulk def. Bryan/Burdakin (GAC), 8-5