Women’s Hockey Gets Revenge in Rematch, Defeats Augsburg 4-0

Posted on January 21st, 2023 by


SAINT PETER, Minn. — The Gusties took their first MIAC loss of the season personally. Having fallen to Augsburg the night before in a heartbreaking 3-2 OT loss, the Gusties emerged with all the momentum and energy to defeat the Auggies in the rematch. Four different players scored a goal to lead the Gusties to a 4-0 victory.

Chloe Stockinger was a force to be reckoned with in net for the Auggies in their 3-2 win, but constant pressure from the Gustie offense put them up two through the first 20 minutes in Saint Peter. Lindsay Bjerke (Sr., New Market) sent a loose puck from the blue line in on Stockinger who was unable to handle the rebound, leaving Bjerke to tap it in for her first goal of the season. Just 4:04 later, another Gustie tallied their first of the season, as Margot Bettman (Fy., Chicago, Ill.) took a low shot from the top of the circle that beat an unsuspecting Stockinger for her first collegiate point and goal. The Gusties maintained pressure for the rest of the period, outshooting the Auggies 10-1.

The second period brought chances for both teams, but Brooke Remington (Jr., Scandia) would net the only goal. Thanks to a perfect face off win from Lily Mortenson (Fy., Champlin), Hannah Gray (So., Stillwater) and Sophia Coltvet (Jr., Arden Hills) set up Remington at the blue line, who sent the puck off the right post and in to lengthen the Gustie lead at 3-0.

Kayla Vrieze (Sr., Eagan), who has a point in each of her last four games, went end to end on the power play to give the Gusties one more insurance goal in the third period, leading them to a MIAC victory. Katie McCoy (Sr., Grafton, Wis.) who made 19 saves the night before, was perfect in all three periods, earning the shutout on eight shots faced.

The Gusties improve to 14-2-0 overall and 9-1-0 in conference play. The team is on the road next Friday, facing St. Catherine for their first game of the two game series at 7 p.m. in St. Paul.


Comments are closed.