Men’s Hockey Wins Season Opener On Last Minute Goal Posted on October 30th, 2015 by

Tim Donohue scored the game winning goal with just 25 seconds left to open the 2015-16 season.

Tim Donohue scored the game winning goal with just 25 seconds left to open the 2015-16 season.


BLAINE, Minn. – The Gustavus men’s hockey team started the 2015-16 season on the right foot with a thrilling 5-4 win over Saint Mary’s on Friday at the MIAC Showcase. With the game tied 4-4 late in the third period, Tim Donohue (So., Bloomington, Minn.) scored the game winning goal with just 25 seconds remaining in the game for the victory.

After a scoreless first period, Drew Aspinwall (Jr., Maple Grove, Minn.) scored the first goal of the game on a power play at the 8:57 mark in the second, assisted by Darren Lapic (Sr., New Prague, Minn.) and Jake McCann (So., Shoreview, Minn.). Thirty-eight seconds later, Gustavus took a 2-0 advantage on a goal by Gavin Tufte (Sr., Blaine, Minn.) with Colin Hernon (So., Bloomington, Minn.) and Joe Lindberg (Jr., Excelsior, Minn.) on the assist. Not to be outdone by the quick flurry of goals, Saint Mary’s netted its first score within 32 seconds to make the score 2-1 at the 10:07 mark. The Gusties then extended their lead by two goals once again at the 16:12 mark on a goal by McCann, assisted by Evan Erickson (Fy., Woodbury, Minn.) and Jake Bushey (So., Duluth, Minn.). After two periods of play, the Gusties led 3-1.

SMU made it a one-goal game 17 seconds into the third period on a power play goal, but not even a minute later the Gusties regained a two-goal advantage on a score from Donohue, assisted by Sam Majka (Jr., Wayzata, Minn.) and Aspinwall. Midway through the final period, the Cardinals scored a pair of power play goals within 30 seconds of each other to tie the game 4-4 at the 9:20 mark. The score would remain tied until Donohue scored his second goal of the game with 25 seconds remaining on the clock for the win. Majka and Lindberg were credited with the assist.

Erik Johnson (Jr., Sauk Rapids, Minn.) got the start in goal for the Gusties as he recorded 38 saves, including 18 in the third period. The Gustie offense registered 27 shots compared to 42 by the Cardinals. SMU also won the faceoff battle 38-23. Gustavus was on the power play for 46 seconds and tallied one goal, while Saint Mary’s had five power play opportunities, including three in the third period, and took five shots with three goals.

Gustavus improves to 1-0 and faces defending MIAC Playoff champion Hamline at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow to conclude its showing at the MIAC Showcase.


Comments are closed.