St. Peter, Minn. - The Gustavus Adolphus men’s soccer team is set to host the 2014 Gustavus Classic this weekend at the Gustie Soccer Field. Beginning in 2012, the second Gustavus Classic will feature four teams from the north region including Carroll University of the Midwest Conference, Concordia College of the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference, and Wartburg College of the Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
“The lads are really looking forward to the upcoming season,” said Head Coach Mike Middleton. “They are an older, experienced group. After chatting with them it was their desire to play a tough schedule, which speaks volumes for them. From our ten non-conference opponents, a high percentage were in, and around the national top-twenty-five at some time during last season. When there are nearly 350 teams in the division, you can see we have a really nice schedule for the season.”
Middleton is pleased with his team’s preparation and effort during preseason camp. “Everyone came in pretty fit, ready and eager to play,” he stated. “It’s all a rush, but the lads have loved every moment of it. This is a really fun group – they are always laughing and are really quick with the repartee and banter. They’ve certainly kept me on my toes! They all behave well and are consummate in all they do. The team is full of achievers with personality to spare. Hopefully they’ll succeed on the soccer pitch, as well as they will undoubtedly will succeed in their future lives. Its a great group – I’m proud of everyone of them.”
The Gustavus Classic will begin on Friday, Aug. 29 with Wartburg taking on Concordia at 12:00 p.m. Following the day’s opening match, Gustavus will face Carroll at 2:00 p.m. On Saturday, Aug. 30, Concordia will battle Carroll at 12:00 p.m. and Gustavus will play Wartburg at 2:00 p.m.
Gustavus Classic Tournament Rules/Information
– Each team will be awarded three points for a win, and one point for a tie. Tied games at the end of ninety minutes, will be governed according to NCAA guidelines for tied games.
– In case of a tie for tournament winners, the following tie-breakers will be followed:
1. Total Points
2. Head-to-Head competition
3. Total goals scored (max. seven per game to count).
4. Least goals conceded
5. If still tied, trophy will be shared
– An All-Tournament Team will be selected following the Saturday’s matches. The All-Tournament Team will be made up of four players from the tournament winners, and the tournament MVP (total five), four players from the second placed team, and two players from the other teams.
Live stats will be provided for all matches of this weekend’s tournament.