The Gustavus men’s tennis team completed a weekend sweep of its two MIAC opponents after defeating the University of St. Thomas 9-0 Sunday morning in St. Peter, Minn. The Gusties shut out Carleton on Saturday as well. The win over the Tommies improves the Three Crowns to 17-7 overall as they maintain their undefeated mark in the MIAC at 8-0. St. Thomas falls to 10-4 overall and 6-2 in conference play.
The Gusties dominated doubles play by not giving up more than three games per set. The No. 1 team of Gustavus’ Amrik Donkena and Mya Smith-Dennis, who are ranked first in the ITA Central Region, have now won 16 of their last 17 matches together.
In singles draw, the closest competition came at the No. 3 spot as Juan Luis Chu defeated Brendon O’Connell 6-4, 1-6, 10-6. The other five singles matches were won by the Gusties in straight sets.
Next weekend will mark the end of the regular season as Gustavus travels to Northfield, Minn. to take on St. Olaf on Saturday at 10:00 a.m. The next day, the Gusties return home for a non-conference match-up with Luther at 2:00 p.m. at the Swanson Tennis Center.
1. Amrik Donkena (GAC) def. Brian McCarthy (UST) 6-2, 6-2
2. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Dan Cooper (UST) 6-3, 6-3
3. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) def. Brendon O’Connell (UST) 6-4, 1-6, 10-6
4. Tyler Johnson (GAC) def. Henry Mandell (UST) 7-5, 6-2
5. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) def. Allen-Michael Muench (UST) 6-2, 6-0
6. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Peter Wright (UST) 6-0, 6-1
1. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Brian McCarthy/Dan Cooper (UST) 8-2.
2. Daniel Pomeranc/Juan Luis Chu (GAC) def. Brendon O’Connell/ Allen-Michael Muench (UST) 8-2
3. Joey MacGibbon/Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Steven Skanse/Mitch Blackey (UST) 8-3