St. Peter, Minn. – The Gustavus women’s tennis team extended its winning-streak to four matches with a 9-0 win over St. Thomas on Saturday afternoon in the Swanson Tennis Center. For the second consecutive match, Gustavus swept both the doubles and singles competitions. The Gusties improve to 14-7 overall and 7-0 in the MIAC, while St. Thomas drops to 10-7 overall and 6-4 in the MIAC.
With just three conference matches remaining on Gustavus’ regular season schedule, Head Coach Jon Carlson was pleased with today’s result.
“It’s always a good match with St. Thomas and I’m pleased with the way the team came out and competed this afternoon,” said Carlson.
The Gusties’ first point of the afternoon turned out to be a monumental one for senior captain Megan Gaard (Edina, Minn.). Teaming up with rookie Laurel Krebsbach (North Oaks, Minn.) in the No. 1 spot, the tandem cruised to an 8-2 with over Mary Allen and Kara Lefsrud. With the victory, Megan Gaard earned her 100th career win in doubles play. A staple of Jon Carlson’s lineup for the past four years, Gaard is now 100-36 (.735) in doubles over her stellar career. She is just the third Gustavus women’s tennis player since the turn of the century to reach 100 wins in doubles – the others being her teammates Sierra Krebsbach `10 (105-31) and Samantha Frank `11 (101-40).
Alex Erickson (Minnetonka, Minn.) and Megan Born (Antigo, Wis.) at No. 2 and Annie Mahoney and Mary Roop at No. 3 completed the sweep of the doubles competition with 8-5 and 8-4 wins, respectively.
The Gusties made short work of the Tommies in singles, as all six players cruised to straight-set victories.
The Gustavus women’s tennis team will be back at home on Thursday, April 26 with a conference match against St. Olaf at 4:30 p.m.
1. Alex Erickson (GAC) def. Mary Allen (UST) 6-3, 6-1
2. Megan Gaard (GAC) def. Rachel Wright (UST) 6-1, 6-0
3. Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Kara Lefsrud (UST) 6-4, 6-3
4. Megan Born (GAC) def. Brittany Alexander (UST) 6-1, 6-0
5. Mallory Shellum (GAC) def. Kaitlyn Israel (UST) 6-0, 6-3
6. Sophie Horton (GAC) def. Anna Wright (UST) 6-2, 6-2
1. Megan Gaard/Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Mary Allen/Kara Lefsrud (UST) 8-2
2. Alex Erickson/Megan Born (GAC) def. Rachel Wright/Claire Elkin (UST) 8-5
3. Annie Mahoney/Mary Roop (GAC) def. Brittany Alexander/Anna Wright (UST) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (,4,2,6,1,3,5)