After seven non-conference matches, the Gustavus men’s tennis team returned to MIAC action Saturday at the Swanson Tennis Center in St. Peter, Minn. with a 9-0 shutout over Carleton. The 20th-ranked Gusties improve to 16-7 overall and 7-0 in the MIAC, while the Knights end an eight-match win streak and drop their first conference match at 18-4 overall and 6-1 in the MIAC.
The Three Crowns cruised to straight set victories in five of the six singles matches. At the No. 1 spot, Amrik Donkena defeated Carelton’s Peter Dunn in a 10-point third set tiebreak 10-4. In doubles play, Donkena and his teammate Mya Smith-Dennis battled to a 9-8 (7-2) tiebreak win over Dunn and Paul Cooper at the No. 1 spot.
Gustavus continues MIAC action Sunday at the Swanson Tennis Center with a match-up against the University of St. Thomas at 10:00 a.m.
1. Amrik Donkena (GAC) def. Peter Dunn (CAR) 7-6, 4-6, 10-4
2. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Avery Rux (CAR) 6-2, 6-4
3. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) def. Andrew Hwang (CAR) 6-3, 6-3
4. Tyler Johnson (GAC) def. Austin Jiang (CAR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) def. Paul Cooper (CAR) 6-2, 6-2
6. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. McCoy Becker (CAR) 6-1, 6-4
1. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Peter Dunn/Paul Cooper (CAR) 9-8 (7-2)
2. Juan Luis Chu/Daniel Pomeranc (GAC) def. Jon Aranda/Avery Rux (CAR) 8-6
3. Joey MacGibbon/Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Austin Jiang/Andrew Hwang (CAR) 8-5