The Gustavus Adolphus women’s tennis team suffered a 5-4 loss to No. 14 Trinity University on Tuesday afternoon in San Antonio, Texas. The Gusties took two points in the doubles competition, yet the Tigers battled back in singles play with four of the six possible points. Gustavus concludes its trip training trip to Texas and returns to Minnesota with an overall record of 9-4.
In doubles, Megan Gaard and Laurel Krebsbach picked up their 10th doubles win of the season with an 8-3 victory over Mackenzie Knoop and Thavindra Ekanayake at No. 1. At No. 3 doubles, Annie Mahoney and Megan Born topped Stephanie Williamson and Kassie Seger 8-6 for Gsutavus’s second point.
The Gusties got wins Alex Erickson and Mallory Shellum in singles. Erickson edged Knoop in three sets 2-6, 6-4, 6-3, while Shellum cruised 6-1, 6-1 over Lavinia Bendandi. Trinity’s Williamson defeated Mary Roop 5-7, 6-2, 6-2 for the fifth and decisive point.
Head Coach Jon Carlson’s squad will have a short turnaround after returning to Minnesota on Wednesday. The Gusties will travel to Madison, Wis. to take part in the Midwest Invite on April 6-7.
1. Alex Erickson (GAC) def. Mackenzie Knoop (TUW) 2-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Thavindra Ekanayake (TUW) def. Megan Gaard (GAC) 7-5, 6-4
3. Katie Griffith (TUW) def. Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Kylie Hornbeck (TUW) def. Megan Born (GAC) 6-2, 6-4
5. Mallory Shellum (GAC) def. Lavinia Bendandi (TUW) 6-1, 6-1
6. Stephanie Williamson (TUW) def. Mary Roop (GAC) 5-7, 6-2, 6-4
1. Megan Gaard/Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Mackenzie Knoop/Thavindra Ekanayake (TUW) 8-3
2. Katie Griffith/Kylie Hornbeck (TUW) def. Mary Roop/Alex Erickson (GAC) 8-6
3. Annie Mahoney/Megan Born (GAC) def. Stephanie Williamson/Kassie Seger (TUW) 8-6