The Gustavus men’s tennis team improved its win streak to five with a pair of victories over the University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire, 9-0, and Augustana College (S.D.), 8-1, Saturday in St. Peter, Minn. The Gusties move to 10-4 overall on the season, while UW-Eau Claire falls to 10-3 and Augustana drops to 3-2.
Amrik Donkena highlighted the morning match against Eau Claire at the No. 1 singles spot. Donkena dropped the first set 6-0 to Chris Kuna, but rallied to claim 6-4 victories in the next two sets for a 0-6, 6-4, 6-4 final. The closest competition in doubles play came at the No. 2 spot as Patrick Clark and Tyler Johnson edged Joe Meier and Ryan Vande Linde 9-7 in the tiebreaker.
1. Amrik Donkena (GAC) def. Chris Kuna (UWEC) 0-6, 6-4, 6-4
2. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Ryan Vande Linde (UWEC) 6-2, 6-2
3. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) def. Florent Marco (UWEC) 6-2, 6-3
4. Tyler Johnson (GAC) def. Joey Minear (UWEC) 6-2, 6-2
5. Patrick Clark (GAC) def. Joe Meier (UWEC) 6-4, 7-6 (9-7)
6. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) def. Michael Roden (UWEC) 6-1, 6-2
1. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Chris Kuna/Joey Minear (UWEC) 8-3
2. Patrick Clark/Tyler Johnson (GAC) def. Joe Meier/Ryan Vande Linde (UWEC) 9-7
3. Juan Luis Chu/Daniel Pomeranc (GAC) def. Michael Roden/David Stingley (UWEC) 8-3
In the late afternoon match against Augustana, the Gusties cruised to straight set victories in all six singles matches and dropped just one match in doubles play. Augustana’s Collin Noldner and Mitchell Barr were able to edge Brooks Stapleton and Ryan Hallsten 8-6 at the No. 2 position.
1. Daniel Pomeranc (GAC) def. Jared Drenkow (Augustana) 7-6, 6-1
2. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Evan Gardner (Augustana) 6-1, 6-0
3. Motasem Al Houni (GAC) def. Collin Noldner (Augustana) 6-4, 6-1
4. Ryan Hallsten (GAC) def. Jackson Buchanan (Augustana) 6-1, 6-0
5. Logan Peterson (GAC) def. Neal Gregerson (Augustana) 6-3, 6-2
6. Bryan Miles (GAC) def. JD Carrels (Augustana) 6-1, 6-0
1. Joey MacGibbon/Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Jared Drenkow/Evan Gardner (Augustana) 8-4
2. Collin Noldner/Mitchell Barr (Augustana) def. Brooks Stapleton/Ryan Hallsten (GAC) 8-6
3. Rodrigo Otero/Connor Illies (GAC) def. Jackson Buchanan/Neal Gregerson (Augustana) 8-2