Saturday’s consolation match was reminiscent of Friday’s loss to Emory as the Gusties garnered just one victory in singles play despite winning two of three in doubles competition. Tyler Johnson captured the lone singles victory, defeating Frankie Allinson 6-1, 6-4. In doubles play, Amrik Donkena and Mya Smith-Dennis remained unbeaten on the weekend at the No. 1 spot with an 8-6 victory over Uday Singh and Tommy Meyer. In the No. 3 doubles spot, Juan Luis Chu and Daniel Pomeranc defeated Connor Sutton and Chris Wiechert 9-8 (10-8).
With the win, fifth-seeded Pomona-Pitzer advances to the fifth place match against No. 6 seed Trinity University at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday. No. 8 Gustavus will battle for seventh place against No. 7 seed Chicago University at the same time.
1. Tommy Meyer (PPC) def. Amrik Donkena (GAC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Chris Wiechert (PPC) def. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) 6-3, 6-4
3. Max Sabel (PPC) def. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 7-6, 2-6, 6-2
4. Uday Singh (PPC) def. Patrick Clark (GAC) 6-1, 6-2
5. Tyler Johnson (GAC) def. Frankie Allinson (PPC) 6-1, 6-4
6. Connor Hudson (PPC) def. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) 7-6 (7-5), 3-6, 3-1
1. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Uday Singh/Tommy Meyer (PPC) 8-6
2. Max Sabel/Frankie Allinson (PPC) def. Patrick Clark/Tyler Johnson (GAC) 8-3
3. Juan Luis Chu/Daniel Pomeranc (GAC) def. Connor Sutton/Chris Wiechert (PPC) 9-8 (10-8)