After starting its 2012 campaign with consecutive losses in Hawaii, the Gustavus men’s tennis team bounced back with consecutive MIAC victories on Saturday. In the morning, the Gusties defeated Hamline 8-1 in St. Paul and then journeyed to Collegeville, Minn. for another conference battle with Saint John’s, which Gustavus won 8-1 as well. The Gustie men improve to 2-0 in the conference and 2-2 overall, while the Johnnies fall to 0-3 overall and 0-1 in the MIAC.
Just as the case was in the morning match with Hamline, all eight of the Gustie wins came in straight sets. The lone loss of the day was at the No. 2 singles spot with Johnnie Ian Hansen defeating Patrick Clark 6-4, 6-2.
1. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Fabrico Moncada (SJU) 7-5, 7-5
2. Ian Hansen (SJU) def. Patrick Clark (GAC) 6-4, 6-2
3. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) def. Joe Laue (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
4. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Connor Rust (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
5. Grant Leisner (GAC) def. Zach Shriwise (SJU) 6-3, 6-1
6. Motasem Al Houni (GAC) def. Alex Wiegmann (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
1. Clark/Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Hansen/Shriwise (SJU) 8-3
2. Leisner/Entwistle (GAC) def. Moncada/Laue (SJU) 8-3
3. Brooks Stapleton/Ryan Hallsten (GAC) def. Rust/Anh Doan (SJU) 8-3
Next Saturday, the Gustie men will host a trio of MIAC opponents at the Swanson Tennis Center in St. Peter. The day begins with a 9:00 a.m. match against Concordia, followed by a 1:00 p.m. match with Bethel and ends with a 4:00 p.m. showdown against Macalester.