The Gustavus Adolphus women’s tennis team suffered a 5-0 loss at the hands of Chicago University in the NCAA Regional Championship held in Chicago on Sunday afternoon. Chicago moves on to play Denison in the quarterfinals of the 2011 NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship held in Claremont, Calif. May 24-26.
Chicago swept the doubles competition before earning a decision with wins at #1 and #3 singles. Aswini Krishnan and Jennifer Kung defeated Megan Born and Mary Roop 8-1 at #3 doubles, Linden Li and Carmen Vaca Guzman topped Marianne Barau and Alex Erickson 8-3 at #2, and Kendra Higgins and Chrissy Hu beat Sam Frank and Megan Gaard at #1 to earn the sweep. Chicago went up 4-0 when Higgins defeated Frank 6-0, 6-1 at #1 singles. Vaca Guzman then defeated Barau 6-3, 6-0 at #3 singles for the 5-0 victory.
Gustavus finishes its season with a 20-10 overall record. Head Coach Jon Carlson’s club has recorded 20 or more wins in a season for 10 consecutive years.
1. Kendra Higgins (UCW) def. Sam Frank (GAC) 6-0, 6-1
2. Jennifer Kung (UCW) vs. Megan Gaard (GAC) 4-6, 3-2, unfinished
3. Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) def. Marianne Barau (GAC) 6-3, 6-0
4. Linden Li (UCW) vs. Alex Erickson (GAC) 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
5. Aswini Krishnan (UCW) vs. Megan Born (GAC) 6-3, 4-3, unfinished
6. Tiffany Nguyen (UCW) vs. Mallory Shellum (GAC) 0-1, unfinished
1. Kendra Higgins/Chrissy Hu (UCW) def. Sam Frank/Megan Gaard (GAC) 8-5
2. Linden Li/Carmen Vaca Guzman (UCW) def. Marianne Barau/Alex Erickson (GAC) 8-3
3. Aswini Krishnan/Jennifer Kung (UCW) def. Megan Born/Mary Roop (GAC) 8-1