The Gustavus women’s tennis team suffered a 7-2 defeat at the hands of #2 Williams College in its final match of the 2011 FAB 10 Tournament held on the campus of Emory University in Atlanta. The Ephs improve to 8-2 on the season with the victory, while the Gusties finish the tournament with a 1-3 mark, moving to 9-7 on the year.
Marianne Barau was a part of both Gustavus’ wins in the match, partnering with Alex Erickson to win at #2 doubles 9-7 over Taylor French and Nancy Worley before defeating Nicole Reich at #3 singles. Barau took a 4-1 lead in the first set before Reich was forced to retire.
The Gustavus women’s tennis team will return to the Midwest and compete in the Midwest Invite held in Madison, Wis. on April 9-10. The Gusties will get back into conference play with a pair of matches against Bethel (10:00 a.m.) and Concordia (4:00 p.m.) on April 16, in Aden Hills, Minn.
#2 Williams College 7, #10 Gustavus Adolpus College 2
1. Alotta, Kristin (WIL) def. Sam Frank (GAC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Worley, Nancy (WIL) def. Megan Gaard (GAC) 6-3, 6-1
3. Marianne Barau (GAC) def. Reich, Nicole (WIL) 4-1, retired
4. Marchese, Lucy (WIL) def. Alex Erickson (GAC) 6-3, 6-0
5. Elkins, Kathleen (WIL) def. Mary Roop (GAC) 6-0, 6-1
6. Capute, Caroline (WIL) def. Megan Born (GAC) 6-1, 6-1
1. Alotta, Kristin/Reich, Nicole (WIL) def. Sam Frank/Megan Gaard (GAC) 8-5
2. Marianne Barau/Alex Erickson (GAC) def. French, Taylor/Worley, Nancy (WIL) 9-7
3. Marchese, Lucy/Elkins, Kathleen (WIL) def. Megan Born/Mary Roop (GAC) 8-4