The Gustavus women’s tennis team took an important step towards the goal of winning its 18th consecutive MIAC regular season title with a 7-1 win over Carleton in Northfield on Friday. The Gusties won five singles matches and two of the three doubles matches to improve to 11-7 overall and 4-0 in the MIAC. Carleton falls to 10-4 overall and 7-1 in the MIAC.
The Gusties got off to a good start winning two of the three doubles matches as Ali O’Neal and Erica Dobson won at the #2 position and Megan Gaard and Marianne Barau won at the #3 position.
In singles play, the Gusties claimed five convincing wins posting straight set victories at the #2 through the #6 positions. At #1 singles, Sierra Krebsbach’s match against Kathryn Schmidt was halted due to darkness. Krebsbach was trailing a very tight match by the score of 6-7 (7-9), 4-5.
The Gusties next match will be against Bethel in Arden Hills on Saturday, April 18 at 10:00 am.
#17 Gustavus Adolphus College 7, Carleton College 1
1. Kathryn Schmidt (CAR) vs. Sierra Krebsbach (GAC) 7-6 (9-7), 5-4, unfinished
2. Megan Gaard (GAC) def. Erin Gudul (CAR) 6-1, 6-1
3. Sam Frank (GAC) def. Frances Leung (CAR) 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Ali O’Neal (GAC) def. Hannah Clemons (CAR) 6-3, 6-0
5. Marianne Barau (GAC) def. Hannah Goldberg (CAR) 6-2, 6-3
6. Erica Dobson (GAC) def. Devin Daugherty (CAR) 6-1, 6-1
1. Kathryn Schmidt/Erin Gudul (CAR) def. Sierra Krebsbach/Sam Frank (GAC) 9-7
2. Ali O’Neal/Erica Dobson (GAC) def. Hannah Goldberg/Linnea Carlson (CAR) 8-4
3. Megan Gaard/Marianne Barau (GAC) def. Frances Leung/Devin Daugherty (CAR) 8-4
Gustavus Adolphus College 11-7, 4-0 MIAC; National ranking #17; Regional ranking #5
Carleton College 10-4, 7-1 MIAC; Regional ranking #10