The Gustavus women’s tennis team evened its Spring Break trip record to 1-1 by defeating Claremont-Mudd-Scripps Colleges 8-1 in Claremont on Wednesday evening. The Gusties jumped out to a 3-0 lead by winning all of the doubles matches and never looked back on its way to a convincing victory. Marianne Barau played very well for the Gusties as she posted a win at #6 singles in straight sets and then teamed with Megan Gaard to win at #2 doubles.
Sierra Krebsbach and Megan Gaard claimed hard fought wins at #1 and #3 singles, respectively. Krebsbach split the first two sets at the #1 position against Elisa LaCava and then won the superbreaker 10-3 to claim the win. Gaard had an even tighter match as she won the first set at #3 against Jessica Fox 6-2, but then lost the second 3-6, before winning the superbreaker 12-10. Gaard’s win clinched the victory for the Gusties as she extended the team’s lead to 5-0.
Coach Jon Carlson and his squad will face #8 Pomona-Pitzer on Friday at 6:00 pm (CDT) in Pomona, California.
Gustavus Adolphus 8 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 1
1. Sierra Krebsbach (GAC) def. Elisa LaCava (CMS) 2-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-3)
2. Hannah Kornfeld (CMS) def. Sam Frank (GAC) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-4)
3. Megan Gaard (GAC) def. Jessica Fox (CMS) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (12-10)
4. Ali O’Neal (GAC) def. Alle Hsu (CMS) 6-0, 6-2
5. Erica Dobson (GAC) def. Sara Reed (CMS) 6-2, 6-4
6. Marianne Barau (GAC) def. Meredith Leyendecker (CMS) 6-0, 6-0
1. Sierra Krebsbach/Sam Frank (GAC) def. Jessica Fox/Hannah Kornfeld (CMS) 8-5
2. Megan Gaard/Marianne Barau (GAC) def. Elisa LaCava/Sara Reed (CMS) 8-4
3. Erica Dobson/Ali O’Neal (GAC) def. Alle Hsu/Caroline Daly (CMS) 8-1