The Gustavus men’s tennis concluded its Spring Break trip to California with a heartbreaking 5-4 loss to UC-Santa Cruz on Thursday afternoon in Santa Cruz, Calif. The Gusties held a 2-1 lead after doubles play, but lost four of the six singles matches. John Kauss and Mike Burdakin tallied both singles match victories as each player posted come-from-behind wins at #1 and #3 singles, respectively. Gustavus dropped to 17-7 overall.
John Kauss dropped the first set against Max Liberty-Point in a tiebreaker, but won the second set, 6-4 before winning the third set tiebreaker 10-5. Mike Burdakin had a similar match against Max Ortiz as Burdakin lost the first set in a tiebreaker. Burdakin would fight back to win the final two sets. Kauss and Burdakin also paired up for a win at #1 doubles over Jared Kamel and Marc Vartabedian 8-4. Charlie Paukert and Ben Tomasek recorded the final Gustie point at #2 doubles as the duo defeated Max Liberty-Point and Ilya Gendelman 8-6.
Coach Steve Wilkinson and his squad will have the week off before returning to action on Saturday, April 4 against Loras and Kenyon.
1. John Kauss (GAC) def. Max Liberty-Point (UCSC) 6-7 (5), 6-4, 1-0 (10-5)
2. Jared Kamel (UCSC) def. Charlie Paukert (GAC) 6-1, 6-0
3. Mike Burdakin (GAC) def. Max Ortiz (UCSC) 6-7 (7), 6-2, 1-0 (10-3)
4. Ilya Gendelman (UCSC) def. Ben Tomasek (GAC) 6-3, 6-2
5. Colin Mark-Griffin (UCSC) def. Patrick Clark (GAC) 6-0, 6-2
6. Marc Vartabedian (UCSC) def. Ryan Hallsten (GAC) 6-1, 6-0
1. Mike Burdakin/John Kauss (GAC) def. Jared Kamel/Marc Vartabedian (UCSC) 8-4
2. Charlie Paukert/Ben Tomasek (GAC) def. Max Liberty-Point/Ilya Gendelman (UCSC) 8-6
3. Max Ortiz/Colin Mark-Griffin (UCSC) def. Nick Hansen/David Koppel (GAC) 8-6