The Gustavus men’s tennis team advanced to semifinals of the MIAC Team Championship with a 9-0 win over Hamline on Friday afternoon. The Gusties will now face Saint John’s on Saturday at 11:00 am. The tournament is being played on the Gustavus campus.
Coach Steve Wilkinson’s squad did not drop a set in its convincing win over the Pipers. In doubles play, the #1 team of Adam Morgan and Brett Morse-Karzen cruised to a 8-1 win, however the #2 team of Danny Suchy and Kevin Stickney had to rally for a 9-7 win. At the #3 position, Scott Bean and Aaron Zenner also rallied for a 9-7 win.
In singles play, the Gusties claimed straight set wins at all six positions.
1. Morgan/Morse-Karzen (GA) defeated Henning/Watkins (HU) 8-1
2. Stickney/Suchy (GA) defeated Breimhorst/Carlson (HU) 9-7
3. Scott Bean/Aaron Zenner (GA) defeated Willie Richards/Casey O’Donnell (HU) 9-7
1. Ben Lundell (GA) defeated Ben Watkins (HU) 6-1, 6-1
2. Jesse Brauer (GA) defeated Jon Henning (HU) 6-4, 6-3
3. Andy Bryan (GA) defeated Jon Breimhorst (HU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Roy Bryan (GA) defeated Andy Carlson (HU) 6-1, 6-0
5. Pete Schwingler (GA) defeated Andy Hueller (HU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Alex Horton (GA) defeated Patrich Hueller (HU) 6-4, 6-2