ST. PETER, Minn. – The No. 19-ranked Gustavus men’s tennis team played two split squad matches Saturday, defeating Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference foe Saint John’s University 9-0 at Swanson Tennis Center and falling 7-0 at the University of North Dakota.
“The guys competed well today and put together a solid weekend,” said Head Coach Tommy Valentini. “We gained a lot of good experience and grew as a group in a lot of important ways. We’ll look to build on the progress from this weekend as we prepare for an exciting spring trip to Texas.”
The Gusties, now 17-3 overall (7-0 MIAC), had their 16-game win streak come to and end with a loss against Division I opponent North Dakota.
- Mohanad Alhouni (Jr., Tripoli, Libya) (GAC) def. Tim Larson (SJU) 6-1, 6-1
- Zach Ekstein (Jr., Eagan, Minn.) (GAC) def. Ryan Meger (SJU) 6-1, 6-0
- Patrick Whaling (So., Mankiob Sabot, Va.) def. Hunter Krebsbach (SJU) 6-1, 6-1
- Chase Johnson (So., Golden Valley, Minn.) (GAC) def. Jonah Punnoose (SJU) 6-2, 6-1
- Yassine Derbani (Fy., Casablanca, Morocco) (GAC) def. Jess Hansen (SJU) 6-0, 6-1
- David Hagberg (Sr., Eden Prairie, Minn.) (GAC) def. Ben McKimm (SJU) 6-0, 6-2
- Alhouni/Whaling (GAC) def. Tim Larson/Jonah Punnoose (SJU) 8-4
- Entwistle/Johnson (GAC) def. Ryan Meger/Jess Hansen (SJU) 9-7
- Ekstein/Hagberg (GAC) def. Hunter Krebsbach/Ben McKimm (SJU) 8-1
- Britton, Dustin (UND) def. Gabe Steinwand (Jr., Moorhead, Minn.) (GAC) 6-1, 7-5
- Lau, Travis (UND) def. Michael O’Neil (Fy., Edina, Minn.) (GAC) 6-3, 6-4
- Misialek, Ty (UND) def. Mason Bultje (Jr., Mankato, Minn.) (GAC) 6-4, 7-6 (7-2)
- Mailes, Alex (UND) def. Joakim Ekfeldt (Sr., Stockholm, Sweden) (GAC) 6-2, 6-4
- Danyluk, Simon (UND) def. Alex Senjem (So., Rochester, Minn.) (GAC) 6-3, 6-7 (6-8), 10-4
- Hokanson, Matt (UND) def. Can-Aras Thierhoff (So., Frankfurt, Germany) (GAC) 6-3, 6-4
- Lau, Travis/Britton, Dustin (UND) def. Steinwand/Bultje (GAC) 7-6 (7-5)
- O’Neil/Senjem (GAC) def. Danyluk, Simon/Misialek, Ty (UND) 6-4
- Hokanson, Matt/Mailes, Alex (UND) def. Ekfeldt/Zeke Haugen (Fy., St. Peter, Minn.) (GAC) 6-3
The Black and Gold next returns to action in their 2017 spring trip, traveling to Texas for six matches March 26-31.