Women’s Hockey Falls 3-2 To Saint Benedict In Overtime Heartbreaker

Posted on December 5th, 2015 by

Saint Benedict 3, Gustavus 2 (Box)

ST. PETER, Minn. – The Gustavus Adolphus College women’s hockey team suffered a 3-2 overtime loss to the College of Saint Benedict on Saturday afternoon at Don Roberts Ice Rink. Similar to last night’s game, the Gusties took a 2-1 lead into the final minutes of the game, but were not able to hold on, as the Blazers earned an extra-attacker goal at the 18:34 mark to tie the game. However, this time around, Saint Benedict was able to find the net in overtime as well, as Maddie Rainey snuck one past Gustie goalie Lindsey Hibbard (Sr., Princeton, Minn.) to earn the victory for the visitors. With the loss, Gustavus falls to 3-4-3 overall and 2-2-2 in the MIAC, while Saint Benedict improves to 2-5-1 overall and picks up its first conference win to move its league record to 1-4-1.

The Blazer’s Natalie Roberts scored the game’s first goal when she took a shot from the top of the circle, and was able to flip the puck over Hibbard’s right shoulder at 8:36 to give Saint Benedict a 1-0 lead. However, Erica Power (So., Lakeville, Minn.) tied the score at 1-1 when she skated from behind the goal and was able to put home a hesitation shot at 14:34. The goal was Power’s fifth of the season and second in two games and was assisted by Katy Fuller (So., Minneapolis, Minn.) and Courtney Bethune (Jr., Fort Frances, Ontario).

Gustavus took the lead early in the second period when first-year Erin Moes (Hastings, Minn.) fired off three consecutive slap shots and converted on the third just 3:14 into the middle period. The goal was Moes’ first of her career and was assisted by fellow rookie Marina Chapman (South Haven, Minn.).

In the third period, the Gusties appeared to control the puck and momentum for the most part, however, following the pulling of goalie Angel Hillstrom, Saint Benedict fired off its second extra attacker goal in as many days, and tied the score at 2-2. Immediately following the goal, Blazer forward Elli Marvin was whistled for roughing, giving the Gusties the remaining 1:26 of the game on the power play, but despite several shots on goal in the final 50 seconds, the Black and Gold could not take advantage and the game went to overtime. There, the Blazers fought of 34 seconds worth of a power play to begin the five minute period, and eventually scored off a Gustie turnover at 2:31 when Rainey scored her second goal of the game to secure a victory for Saint Benedict.

For the second game in a row, Gustavus controlled the shot count, this time by a 40-14 count. The Gusties were also able to stay out of the sin bin for a majority of the game, as they were only whistled for two penalties throughout the contest. Gustavus entered the game with five players unable to suit up due to injury and was forced to play with only three lines.

Hibbard suffered the loss between the pipes after allowing the three goals and making 11 saves, while Hillstrom picked up the win after making 38 saves and allowing the two goals.

Gustavus is back in action next week, playing an unorthodox Wednesday-Friday series against No. 8 UW-River Falls. The Gusties travel to River Falls on Wednesday for a 7 p.m. contest and return to St. Peter for a 7 p.m. Friday game at Don Roberts Ice Rink.


One Comment

  1. pat chapman says:

    The wins will come. Keep shooting. Nice summary of the game. I couldn’t make it there today. Pat