Late Goal Sinks Men’s Hockey, Falls 2-1 To Marian

Posted on November 30th, 2014 by

Jack Walsh's game-tying goal with less than one minute remaining in the second period wasn't enough to ignite Gustavus's offense in Sunday night's 2-1 loss to Marian. Photo courtesy of CJ Siewert - Sport PiX.

St. Peter, Minn. – A late third period goal by Marian University’s Warren Carter was enough to hand Gustavus a 2-1 loss and end the Gusties’ six-game unbeaten-streak in the final game of the 2014 MIAC/NCHA Thanksgiving Showcase held on Sunday night at Don Roberts Ice Rink. With the score tied at 1-1 with less than five minutes remaining in the game, Carter moved up the right wing and fired a wrister past rookie goaltender Isaac Tjaden (Fr., Northfield, Minn.) blocker side for what was the game-winning goal.

With Saturday afternoon’s win over St. Olaf, Marian picks up a pair of victories on the weekend and is now 5-4-0 overall. Suffers its first loss since Nov. 7 against UW-Stevens Point and drops to 3-3-4.

Despite there being a lack of atmosphere in Don Roberts Ice Rink due to the large majority of the student body being on Thanksgiving break, the Gusties came out firing right out of the gates.   In the first period alone, Gustavus blistered the Marian net with 17 shots. Fortunately for the Sabres, their netminder, Mike Gudmandson, was up to the challenge and turned away all 17 shots he faced.

Gudmandson hot start mirrored the rest of his night as the frosh made 31 saves and was beaten only when Jack Walsh (Sr., Mahtomedi, Minn.) knotted the game at 1-1 with :38 seconds remaining in the second period.

Marian was the first to draw blood when Adam Ritchie scored from Jacob Ryd and Mike Zajac at the 7:36 mark of the second period.

With the second period coming to a close, Gustavus benefited from a big momentum swing when Jack Walsh scored his first goal of the season at the 19:22 mark. Cory Ellis (Sr., St. Paul, Minn.) circled behind the Marian net and found Walsh uncovered in the slot with a centering pass.  Walsh buried the one-timer to tie the game at 1-1 for what was his first goal of the season.

Gustavus pulled its goalie with 1:02 left in the game but wasn’t able to find the equalizer in the remaining ticks of the clock.

Isaak Tjaden made 21 saves and suffered the loss in his first collegiate career. After being tested just four times in the first period, Marian continually picked up its offensive pressure and recorded 17 shots on goal over the final two frames.

Gustavus outshot the Sabres 28-13 in the opening two periods and 32-23 in the game. Neither team converted on the power play as Marian went 0-for-3 and Gustavus went 0-for-2. The Gusties have now killed 21 straight penalties over an eight-game time-span that dates back to Nov. 2 when they allowed a power play goal to St. Olaf.

The Gusties will now gear up for a series against St. Olaf to close the 2014 portion of their season.  Gustavus will first square off against the Oles on Friday, Dec. 5 at 7:05 p.m. at Don Roberts Ice Rink. The series-finale will be held in Northfield on Saturday, Dec. 6 at 7:30 p.m.

Box Score

Photo Gallery


Comments are closed.