Claremont, Calif. – The Gustavus Adolphus men’s tennis team concluded its training trip to southern California with a 7-2 loss to Pomona-Pitzer Colleges on Friday afternoon at the Pauley Tennis Complex. The Gusties will now return to Minnesota with an overall record of 14-8.
Pomona-Pitzer swept the doubles competition before picking up four points in singles play. Grant Leisner (Jr., Andover, Minn.) and Joey MacGibbon (Jr., Apple Valley, Minn.) provided the Black and Gold with two points in singles. Leisner defeated Frankie Allinson 6-1, 6-4, and MacGibbon topped Kevin Wei 6-4, 6-2.
The Gusties will be back in action on Saturday, April 13. They will host St. Cloud State University at 9:00 a.m. and Augustana College at 6:00 p.m. in St. Peter, Minn. Another Gustavus group will head to St. Louis, Mo. on the same day to face the University of Chicago at 4:00 p.m.
1. Max Sabel (PPC) def. Amrik Donkena (GAC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Chris Wiechert (PPC) def. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) 6-3, 5-7, 10-3
3. Connor Hudson (PPC) def. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 6-1, 6-4
4. Grant Leisner (GAC) def. Frankie Allinson (PPC) 6-1, 6-4
5. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) def. Kevin Wei (PPC) 6-4, 6-2
6. Thomas Low (PPC) def. Motasem Al-Houni (GAC) 0-6, 6-4, 6-2
1. Max Sabel/Frankie Allinson (PPC) def. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) 8-6
2. Connor Hudson/Connor Sutton (PPC) def. Tyler Johnson/Grant Leisner (GAC) 8-5
3. Kevin Wei/Chris Wiechert (PPC) def. Brad Entwistle/Motasem Al-Houni (GAC) 8-6