The Gustavus men’s tennis team ended its season Sunday afternoon in Whitewater, Wis., falling to 15th-ranked Washington University in St. Louis 5-0 in an NCAA Division III Regional title match. Washington advances to the eight-team championship series with a 17-6 record, while the Gusties end their campaign at 22-8 – the most wins in a season during head coach Tommy Valentini’s three years at the helm.
Beginning the match with doubles play, the top-ranked Central Region doubles team of Gustavus’ Amrik Donkena and Mya Smith-Dennis was upset by Washington’s third-ranked duo of Adam Putterman and Ross Putterman in a 9-7 tiebreaker. The No. 2 and 3 pairings were also close matches, as Washington claimed an 8-6 victory at the second spot and an 8-5 win at No. 3.
The Bears punched their ticket to the NCAA finals with two convincing victories in the singles draw. Adam Putterman defeated Donkena 6-3, 6-1 at the top singles slot, while Kareem Farah secured the win with a 6-1, 6-1 decision over Tyler Johnson in the No. 4 position.
The loss for Gustavus ends a seven-match win streak, while Washington moves on to face top-ranked and defending national champion Amherst College (31-2) in the national quarterfinals on Monday, May 21. The final three rounds of the tournament will take place at Cary Tennis Park in Cary, N.C.
1. Adam Putterman (WASH) def. Amrik Donkena (GAC) 6-3, 6-1
2. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) vs. Gary Parizher (WASH) 6-3, 3-6, 1-2, did not finish
3. Ross Putterman (WASH) vs. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 6-4, 4-3, did not finish
4. Kareem Farah (WASH) def. Tyler Johnson (GAC) 6-1, 6-1
5. Parker Change (WASH) vs. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) 7-6 (4), 4-0, did not finish
6. Tim Noack (WASH) vs. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) 7-6 (4), 3-2, did not finish
1. Adam Putterman/Ross Putterman (WASH) def. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) 9-7
2. Kareem Farah/Parker Change (WASH) def. Daniel Pomeranc/Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 8-6
3. Gary Parizher/Jeffrey Hirsch (WASH) def. Joey MacGibbon/Bradley Entwistle (GAC) 8-5