St. Peter, Minn. – With a 9-0 win over Bethel on Saturday afternoon in the Swanson Tennis Center, the Gustavus women’s tennis improved to 9-0 in the MIAC and 16-7 overall. Bethel finishes its season at 1-9 in the MIAC and 6-13 overall.
“We played well today and set ourselves up for a big match tomorrow,” said Head Coach Jon Carlson. “It was an honor to coach against Dan Morton in his last collegiate match. He has been a superb spokesman for tennis in the MIAC over his career. Coach Morton will surely be missed.”
For the fourth match in a row, Gustavus swept both the singles and doubles competition. By defeating Lisa Scheevel at No. 1 singles, Alex Erickson picked up her 20th win of the season. It is the third straight year that Erickson has reached the 20-win plateau while playing for the Three Crowns.
Today’s win sets up what will be an MIAC Championship showdown between Gustavus and Carleton on Sunday, April 29. The Gusties and Knight’s will square off at 11:00 a.m. at the Brown Outdoor Courts in St. Peter. The prize on the line – the 2012 MIAC Championship. Coach Carlson’s squad will look to avenge a 5-4 loss to Carleton early this month at the Midwest Invite.
1. Alex Erickson (GAC) def. Lisa Scheevel (BU) 6-1, 6-4
2. Megan Gaard (GAC) def. Kristin Vivian (BU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Steph Brown (BU) 6-3, 6-0
4. Megan Born (GAC) def. Kayla Wheeler (BU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Mallory Shellum (GAC) def. Amanda Johnson (BU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Sophie Horton (GAC) def. Abigail Kreklau (BU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Megan Gaard/Laurel Krebsbach (GAC) def. Lisa Scheevel/Steph Brown (BU) 8-1
2. Alex Erickson/Megan Born (GAC) def. Kristin Vivian/Kayla Wheeler (BU) 8-2
3. Mary Roop/Annie Mahoney (GAC) def. Amanda Johnson/Charise Kendrick (BU) 8-6