The 20th-ranked Gustavus men’s tennis team ended a three-match losing streak Sunday in Pleasant Valley, Wis. by defeating Kalamazoo College 8-1. The Gusties improve to 15-7 with the win, while the Hornets fall to 7-10.
The Three Crowns cruised to victory in all three doubles matches, but were put to the test in singles competition. Although the Gustie men won five of the six matches in singles draw, three matches were forced into a third set. At the No. 1 spot, Gustavus’ Amrik Donkena – ranked second in the ITA Central region – rebounded from a 6-2 loss to Nate Eddy in the first set and went on to claim the next two 6-4, 7-5. Joey MacGibbon also climbed back from a first set loss at the No. 5 spot to defeat Mike Korn 4-6, 6-3, 6-3. The same couldn’t be said of Juan Luis Chu as he dropped the first and third sets to Peter Rothstein at the No. 3 spot 3-6, 6-2, 2-6.
Gustavus returns home next weekend for match-ups against MIAC opponents Carleton on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. and the University of St. Thomas on Sunday at 10:00 a.m. Both matches will be played at the Swanson Tennis Center.
1. Amrik Donkena (GAC) def. Nate Eddy (KZO-M) 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
2. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Alex Dombos (KZO-M) 6-2, 6-3
3. Peter Rothstein (KZO-M) def. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 6-3, 2-6, 6-2
4. Tyler Johnson (GAC) def. Steve Hanselman (KZO-M) 6-4, 6-3
5. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) def. Mike Korn (KZO-M) 4-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. David DeSimone (KZO-M) 6-0, 6-2
1. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Steve Hanselman/Peter Rothstein (KZO-M) 8-3
2. Juan Luis Chu/Daniel Pomeranc (GAC) def. Mike Korn/David DeSimone (KZO-M) 8-4
3. Joey MacGibbon/Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Alex Dombos/Nate Eddy (KZO-M) 8-3