The Gustavus men’s tennis team dropped a closely contested match 5-4 against the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater Saturday afternoon in West Bend, Wis. The 20th-ranked Gusties fall to 14-7 overall after dropping their last three contests, while Whitewater improves to 13-6 on the season.
Whitewater’s Byron Balkin and Mitch Osborne upset the top doubles team in the ITA Central Region of Amrik Donkena and Mya Smith-Dennis by a score of 8-4. Gustavus recorded one victory in doubles play at the No. 3 spot as Joey MacGibbon teamed up with Bradley Entwistle to defeat Erik Scanlon and Kevin Friend 8-3.
In singles draw, the Gusties and Warhawks split 3-3. Smith-Dennis, Entwistle and Marcel Gyswyt claimed the three Gustie victories.
Next up for the Three Crowns is a match-up with Kalamazoo College on Sunday in Jackson, Wis. The two squads will face off at 10:00 a.m.
1. Byron Balkin (UWW) def. Amrik Donkena (GAC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Andrew Bayliss (UWW) 7-6 (3-0), 6-3
3. Andy McGlashen (UWW) def. Tyler Johnson (GAC) 6-2, 6-7 (0-5), 6-3
4. Mitch Osborne (UWW) def. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) 6-4, 6-4
5. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Erik Scanlan (UWW) 6-1, 6-2
6. Marcel Gyswyt (GAC) def. Brady Porter (UWW) 6-2, 7-6 (5-0)
1. Byron Balkin/Mitch Osborne (UWW) def. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) 8-4
2. Andrew Bayliss/Andy McGlashen (UWW) def. Daniel Pomeranc/Juan Luis Chu (GAC) 9-8 (6-0)
3. Joey MacGibbon/Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Erik Scanlan/Kevin Friend (UWW) 8-3