The Gustavus men’s tennis team saw its nine-match winning-streak come to an end with a 6-3 loss to No. 12 Pomona-Pitzer Colleges on Wednesday, April 4 in Claremont, Calif. The Sagehens earned two of three points in doubles before going on to win four points in singles play. Gustavus falls to 14-5 overall, while Pomona-Pitzer improves to 10-8.
Amrik Donkena and My Smith-Dennis defeated Max Sabel and Frankie Allinson 8-5 at the No. 1 spot for Gustavus’ lone point in doubles.
Joe MacGibbon at No. 5 and Bradley Entwistle at No. 6 recorded the Gusties’ two points in singles play. MacGibbon defeated Frankie Allinson 6-3, 7-5, and Entwistle topped Uday Singh 7-6 (5), 6-2.
The Gustavus men’s tennis team will conclude its training trip to California with a match against Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Thursday, April 6 at 11:00 a.m.
1. Tommy Meyer (PPC) def. Amrik Donkena (GACM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Chris Wiechert (PPC) def. Mya Smith-Dennis (GACM) 6-4, 6-2
3. Max Sabel (PPC) def. Juan Luis Chu (GACM) 6-4, 6-1
4. Connor Hudson (PPC) def. Tyler Johnson (GACM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Joey MacGibbon (GACM) def. Frankie Allinson (PPC) 6-3, 7-5
6. Bradley Entwistle (GACM) def. Uday Singh (PPC) 7-6 (7-5), 6-2
1. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GACM) def. Max Sabel/Frankie Allinson (PPC) 8-5
2. Tommy Meyer/Uday Singh (PPC) def. Juan Luis Chu/Daniel Pomeranc (GACM) 9-7
3. Chris Wiechert/Alex Groth (PPC) def. Patrick Clark/Tyler Johnson (GACM) 8-6