The Gustavus women’s tennis team advanced to the NCAA Championship Finals with a 5-0 win over Wheaton College at the Swanson Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. The Gusties won all three doubles matches to take a 3-0 lead and then added singles wins from Marianne Barau at the #5 position and Ali O’Neal at the #5 position to close out the match at 5-0. This is the 21st consecutive year that Gustavus has advanced to the NCAA Championship Finals. This year’s championship will take place at Collins Hill Athletic Club in Lawrenceville, Georgia from May 19-21.
The win extended Gustavus’s current winning streak to 11 matches. In those 11 matches, the Gusties have dominated doubles play posting a record of 32-1 during that stretch. In addition, Gustavus has posted an overall match record (including singles and doubles) of 79-7 in those 11 matches.
Complete Match Results
Gustavus Adolphus College 5, Wheaton College 0
May 09, 2009 at Swanson Tennis Center in St. Peter, Minn.
1. Sierra Krebsbach (GAC) vs. Jordan Hook (WHEAT) 2-6, 3-4, unfinished
2. Megan Gaard (GAC) vs. Elizabeth Worsowicz (WHEAT) 6-4, 2-6, unfinished
3. Ali O’Neal (GAC) def. Brittney Dunn (WHEAT) 6-3, 6-4
4. Sam Frank (GAC) vs. Kayli Edwards (WHEAT) 4-6, 4-5, unfinished
5. Marianne Barau (GAC) def. Lindsey Hallett (WHEAT) 6-2, 6-4
6. Erica Dobson (GAC) vs. Sara Federschmidt (WHEAT) 5-7, 3-3, unfinished
1. Sierra Krebsbach/Sam Frank (GAC) def. Jordan Hook/Elizabeth Worsowicz (WHEAT) 8-6
2. Erica Dobson/Ali O’Neal (GAC) def. Brittney Dunn/Kayli Edwards (WHEAT) 8-2
3. Marianne Barau/Megan Gaard (GAC) def. Sara Federschmidt/Lindsey Hallett (WHEAT) 8-3
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (5,3)