The Gustavus women’s tennis team got back in the win column on Thursday morning with an extremely competitive 6-3 win over 15th-ranked Wellesley in Lexington, Va. Four tiebreakers, including two third set tiebreakers, were played among the nine matches. The Gusties improved to 11-6 overall, while Wellesley dropped to 10-3 overall. Gustavus will face Skidmore on Friday and Sunday at the Fab Five Tournament.
1. Jenni White/Sierra Krebsbach (GA) def. Jenna Mezin/Hali Walther (WC), 8-6
2. Sam Frank/Ali O’Neal (GA) def. Trish Devine/Jen Schwarzkopf (WC), 9-8 (7-5)
3. Shivani Saxena/Jacqueline Shen (WC) def. Erica Dobson/Laura Arnebeck (GA), 9-7
1. Jenna Mezin (WC) def. Jenni White (GA), 6-3, 4-6, 11-9 in the tiebreaker
2. Sierra Krebsbach (GA) def. Jen Schwarzkopf (WC), 6-3, 6-1
3. Sam Frank (GA) def. Meghan Stubblebine (WC), 6-3, 6-3
4. Ali O’Neal (GA) def. Trish Devine (WC), 5-7, 6-4, 10-5 in the tiebreaker
5. Shivani Saxena (WC) def. Erica Dobson (GA), 6-2, 7-6
6. Jenny Arnfelt (GA) def. Hali Walther (WC), 6-1, 6-4
All three doubles matches were decided by a total of five games, as Gustavus claimed two doubles points. Jenni White and Sierra Krebsbach fought for an 8-6 victory over Jenna Mezin and Hali Walther in #1 doubles. Sam Frank and Ali O’Neal went down to the wire by a score of 9-8 and 7-5 in the tiebreakers at #2 doubles against Trish Devine and Jen Schwarzkopf. Shivani Saxena and Jacqueline Shen defeated Erica Dobson and Laura Arnebeck in a close 9-7 match at the #3 doubles position.
In singles play, Ali O’Neal battled back from one set down to defeat Trish Devine 5-7, 6-4, 10-5 in #4 singles. Jenni White nearly accomplished the same feat as she took the second set from Jenna Mezin 6-4 after losing the first set 6-3. However, Mezin outlasted White 11-9 in the third set tiebreaker. Sierra Krebsbach (#2), Sam Frank (#3), and Jenny Arnfelt (#6) earned straight set victories for the Golden Gusties, while Erica Dobson lost at #5 singles.
Gustavus will face Skidmore on Friday and Sunday at the Fab Five Tournament before participating at the Madison Midwest Invitational on April 4-5.