The Gustavus Adolphus College men’s tennis team wrapped up its Spring Break schedule Thursday with an 8-1 loss at Azusa Pacific University in Azusa, Calif. Azusa Pacific (22-1) is rated No. 2 in NAIA, while Gustavus (18-8) is rated No. 5 in NCAA Division III. Jesse Brauer (Sr., Mankato, Minn./West) picked up Gustavus’ lone point with a 6-2, 6-0 win over Mathias Weber at No. 2 singles.
The Gusties wrapped up their Spring trip with a 2-2 mark and will face two of the region’s best teams Saturday, April 14, when they hit the road to meet Carleton and Luther. Gustavus, which is currently 8-0 in league play, can wrap up an undefeated league slate and the top seed in the 2007 MIAC Men’s Tennis Championships with a win over the Knights. The Gusties will face the Norse later in the day in Rochester.
Azusa Pacific University 8, Gustavus Adolphus College 1
at Azusa, Calif.
1. David Goodman (APU) def. Andy Bryan (GA) 6-1, 7-6 (1)
2. Jesse Brauer (GA) def. Mathias Weber (APU) 6-2, 6-0
3. Matthijs Bolsius (APU) def. John Kauss (GA) 6-1, 6-3
4. Ronald Chow (APU) def. Mike Burdakin (GA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Art Fatkhiev (APU) def. Charlie Paukert (GA) 6-3, 6-3
6. Robby Dabbs (APU) def. Danny Suchy (GA) 6-0, 6-3
1. Goodman/Bolsius (APU) def. Brauer/Bryan (GA) 8-6
2. Chow/Dabbs (APU) def. Burdakin/Paukert (GA) 8-5
3. Fatkhiev/Weber (APU) def. Ben Tomasek/Nick Hansen (GA) 8-4
APU is rated No. 2 in NAIA
GAC is rated No. 5 in NCAA Division III