The Gustavus men’s tennis team advanced to the semifnals of the NCAA Team Championships with a thrilling 4-3 win over Trinity University (TX) on Wednesday afternoon in Santa Cruz, California. With the match tied 3-3, Gustavus freshman Andy Bryan won a third set tiebreaker 7-3 to defeat Stuart Row 5-7, 6-3, 7-6. Bryan’s victory allows the Gusties to face defending national champion Middlebury tomorrow morning at 9 am (PST). Gustavus improves to 28-4 on the season with the win.
Gustavus took a 1-0 lead in the match by winning two of the three doubles matches. Adam Morgan and Brett Morse-Karzen defeated Stuart Row and Jim Shaugnessy 8-1 at #1 and Andy and Roy Bryan defeated Nick Kaloudis and John Matthews 8-3.
In singles play, Roy Bryan extended the Gustavus lead to 2-0 by defeating Oliver Gaines 6-3, 6-4 at the #5 position. John Matthews defeated Jesse Brauer 6-4, 6-3 at #3 to cut the Gustavus lead to 2-1, but then Brett Morse-Karzen defeated Nick Kaloudis 6-3, 7-5 to push the Gusties lead back to two points at 3-1. Trinity would rally to tie the match at 3-3 with wins at #1 where Jim Shaughnessy defeated Ben Lundell 7-5, 6-3 and at #2 where Jordan Taillon defeated Adam Morgan 5-7, 6-3, 6-4.
Things looked bad for the Gusties when Stuart Row won the first set 7-5 against Andy Bryan, but Bryan rallied to win the second set 6-3 and then clinched the match by winning the third set 7-6 (7-3).
Gustavus Adolphus defeats Trinity 4-3
1) Adam Morgan/ Brett Morse-Karzen (GA) def. Stuart Row/ Jim Shaugnessy (T) 8-1
2) Oliver Gaines/ Stefan Parker (T) led Ben Lundell/ Jesse Brauer (GA) 6-3
3) Andy Bryan/ Roy Bryan (GA) def. Nick Kaloudis/ John Matthews (T) 8-3
1) Jim Shaughnessy (T) def. Ben Lundell (GA) 7-5, 6-3
2) Jordan Taillon (T) def Adam Morgan (GA) 5-7, 6-3, 6-4
3) John Matthews (T) def. Jesse Brauer (GA) 6-4, 6-3
4) Andy Bryan (GA) def Stuart Row (T) 5-7, 6-3, 7-6(3)
5) Roy Bryan (GA) def. Oliver Gaines (T) 6-3, 6-4
6) Brett Morse-Karzen (GA) def Nick Kaloudis (T) 6-3, 7-5