The Gustavus men’s tennis team defeated Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 7-0 in the first round of the Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division III Championship, which is being held on the Gustavus campus in St. Peter, Minn. The Gusties, who are the #5 seed, now advance to the semifinals of the eight-team tournament on Saturday afternoonat 2:00 pm. Gustavus will play #1 seed Emory University, which defeated Washington and Lee University (VA) 6-1. The other semifinal match on Saturday will feature #2 seed UC-Santa Cruz, which defeated Trinity (TX) 4-, against #3 seed University of Redlands (CA), which defeated Mary Washington University (VA) 7-0.
Gustavus got off to a quick start in its match against #4 seed Claremont-Mudd-Scripps by winning all three doubles matches. Adam Morgan and Brett Morse-Karzen defeated William Ellison and Evan Feldhausen 8-5 at the #1 position, while Ben Lundell and Jesse Brauer defeated Kyle Ellison and David Oehm 8-4 at #2 and Roy and Andy Bryan defeated Eric Chow and Jason Evans 8-4.
The Gusties continued to roll in singles winning all six matches without dropping a set. Ben Lundell defeated Eric Chow 6-2, 6-2 at #1, while Adam Morgan knocked off William Ellison 6-0, 6-2 at #2, and Jesse Brauer slipped past David Oehm 6-2, 7-6 (4) at the #3 position.
Brett Morse-Karzen started the second half of the singles matches by defeating Evan Feldhausen 7-5, 6-2 at #4, and then Andy Bryan defeated Jason Evans 6-2, 6-0 at #5, before Roy Bryan wrapped up the convincing win with a 6-3, 7-5 victory over Kyle Ellison 6-3, 7-5 at the #6 position.
The tournament continues on Saturday with semifinal matches at 2:00 pm and concludes on Sunday with the third place and championship matches beginning at 9:00 am.
Gustavus 7 Claremont-Mudd-Scripps 0
1. Adam Morgan/Brett Morse-Karzen (GA) defeated William Ellison/Evan Feldhausen (CMS) 8-5
2. Ben Lundell/Jesse Brauer (GA) defeated Kyle Ellison and David Oehm (CMS) 8-4
3. Roy Bryan/Andy Bryan (GA) defeated Eric Chow/Jason Evans (CMS) 8-4
1. Ben Lundell (GA) defeated Eric Chow (CMS) 6-2, 6-2
2. Adam Morgan (GA) defeated William Ellison (CMS) 6-0, 6-2
3. Jesse Brauer (GA) defeated David Oehm (CMS) 6-2, 7-6 (4)
4. Brett Morse-Karzen (GA) defeated Evan Feldhausen (CMS) 7-5, 6-2
5. Andy Bryan (GA) defeated Jason Evans (CMS) 6-2, 6-0
6. Roy Bryan (GA) defeated Kyle Ellison (CMS) 6-3, 7-5