The Gustavus men’s tennis team defeated Division I UW-Green Bay 5-2 in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on Saturday. The win improved the Gusties season record to 22-6 and it marked the 800th win of Head Coach Steve Wilkinson’s career. Wilkinson’s record over his 34 years at Gustavus is 800-241 (.768). He becomes only the fourth coach in the history of collegiate tennis to post 800 wins.
Wilkinson, who is the winningest active coach in Division III men’s tennis, joins Jim Schwitters of the University of Hawaii (retired), Jim Verdieck of the University of Redlands (retired) and Walt Attaway of Shorter College (active) as the only coaches in collegiate tennis to reach the 800-win milestone.
Gustavus will play Kalamazoo College in Milwaukee on Sunday afternoon.
Gustavus 5 UW-Green Bay 2
1. Loren Collins (GA) defeated Ben Davis (UWGB) 6-3, 6-3
2. Tyler Dorn (UWGB) defeated Adam Morgan (GA) 4-6, 6-4, 7-5
3. Ben Lundell (GA) defeated Jarett Cascino (UWGB) 4-6, 6-3, (10-8) in the superbreaker
4. Jesse Brauer (GA) defeated Mat Weiss (UWGB) 6-2, 6-4
5. Teddy Nasif (GA) defeated Scott Dickert (UWGB) 7-6 (2), 6-3
6. Derek Gonwa (UWGB) defeated Brett Morse-Karzen (GA) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
1. Morgan/Morse-Karzen (GA) defeated Davis/Weiss (UWGB) 8-1
2. Dorn/Cascino (UWGB) defeated Collins/Lundell (GA) 8-3
3. Kyle Anderson/Brauer (GA) defeated Gonwa/Dickert (UWGB) 9-8 (3)