Men’s Hockey Skates to 3-3 Tie with Saint Mary’s

Posted on February 6th, 2004 by

The Gustavus men’s hockey team skated to a 3-3 tie with Saint Mary’s at Don Roberts Ice Rink in St. Peter on Friday night. The Gusties never trailed in the game, but failed to put the Cardinals away after holding 1-0, 2-1, and 3-2 leads. Sophomore defenseman Keith Detlefsen scored at 10:13 of the third period to give Gustavus a 3-2 lead, but Tim McNamara brought Saint Mary’s right back to tie the score at 3-3 with a goal at 12:28. The Gusties move to 9-6-3 overall and 6-1-2 in the MIAC, while the Cardinals move to 10-8-2 overall and 5-5-1 in the MIAC.

Gustavus opened the scoring on a goal by Jason Watters at 17:15 of the first period. Reegan Rehm picked up the assist. Saint Mary’s tied the game at 1-1 when Russ Swanson found the net at 19:08. The Gusties outshot the Cardinals 12-7 in the initial period.

The Gusties tallied the lone goal of the second period and extended their lead to 2-1 when Joe Ulwelling slipped the puck through the legs of Cardinal netminder Ryne Ess at the 10:52 mark. Craig Jankowski and Kyle Menken were credited with assists. Both teams put six shots on net in the second period.

The Cardinals bounced back to tie the score at 2-2 when Al Schumacher scored at 5:15 of the third period. An assist was given to Mike Bry. Gustavus surged ahead yet again when Keith Detlefsen scored at the 10:13 mark and then the Cardinals rallied one more time as Tim McNamara scored at the 12:28 mark. The Gusties held a 15-5 advantage in shots in the third period.

Neither team put together a serious scoring threat in the five minute extra session. The Cardinals put two shots on net, while the Gusties managed but one shot on goal. Gustavus outshot Saint Mary’s 35-19 in the contest. Dan Melde recorded 16 saves for the Gusties, while Ryne Ess turned away 32 shots for the Cardinals.

The game was played at a very brisk pace with very few penalties whistled by the officials. St. Mary’s was charged with one penalty for two minutes, while Gustavus was assessed three penalties for six minutes. Saint Mary’s did not convert on either of its power play opportunities.

Box Score


Comments are closed.