Gustavus head coach Mark Hanson picked up his 300th career victory in front of 2,134 faithful Gustie fans at Gus Young Court on Monday night. Hanson who is in his 15th season at Gustavus has compiled a career record of 300-109 for a winning percentage of .732. He becomes the fifth coach in MIAC men’s basketball history to reach the 300-win plateau. Hanson is the only active coach in Division III with less than 15 full years of coaching to have posted 300 wins. His winning percentage of .732 ranks 10th all-time in Division III.
Hanson is in the midst of one of the finest coaching efforts in his career as he has directed a team with only one returning starter to a record of 16-5 overall. The Gusties, who are also in the midst of a 12-game winning streak, stand alone atop the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference with a mark of 14-2.
A four-year starter for Gustavus from 1979 to 1983, Hanson is the program’s all-time leading scorer with 1774 points. He was a four-time all-conference selection and a two-time NAIA All-America honoree. Hanson became the winningest coach in Gustavus men’s basketball history on January 17th of this season when he recorded his 293rd career victory.
A native of Dodge Center, Minnesota, Hanson has spent his entire coaching career at Gustavus. He has directed the Gusties to five conference titles, six conference playoff titles, and nine NCAA Tournament appearances. Six of his squad’s have advanced to the Sweet 16 of the national tournament and his 2003 squad advanced to the national championship game before losing to Williams 67-65.
MIAC Men’s Basketball Career Coaching Wins List
1. Jim Smith, Saint John’s – 633-442 – 1964-present
2. Joe Hutton, Hamline – 588-186 – 1931-65
3. Steve Fritz, St. Thomas – 438-220 – 1980-present
4. Tom Feeley, St. Thomas – 417-269 – 1954-80
5. Mark Hanson, Gustavus – 300-109 – 1990-present
6. Whitey Skoog, Gustavus – 292-301 – 1957-81
7. Ernie Anderson, Augsburg – 277-267 – 1948-70
8. Bob Gelle, St. Olaf – 275-237 – 1957-64
9. Guy Kalland, Carleton – 275-251 – 1984-present
10. Doug Bolstorff, Macalester – 264-490 – 1963-82, 85-94
(Records are up to date through Feb. 8, 2005)