The Gustavus men’s tennis team claimed its unprecedented 24th consecutive MIAC regular season title Saturday with a 9-0 shutout over St. Olaf in St. Peter, Minn. The victory completes Gustavus’ 27th straight undefeated season within MIAC play at 9-0 and an 18-7 overall record. St. Olaf falls to 14-3 overall and 7-2 in league play.
The 20th-ranked Gusties cruised to victory in all three doubles matches, winning each match by at least four points. In singles play, the closest competition came at the No. 1 and No. 3 spots. At the No. 1 spot, Amrik Donkena claimed a 7-6 (5) tiebreaker victory in his first set against St. Olaf’s Knute Gunderson and then won the match 6-4 in the second. At No. 3, Juan Luis Chu battled with Andy Catania 6-3, 2-6 through two sets. Chu then claimed the third set tiebreaker 10-5.
The Three Crowns will conclude the regular season Sunday with a home match against Luther College. The match will begin at 2:00 p.m. at the Swanson Tennis Center.
1. Amrik Donkena (GAC) def. Knute Gunderson (STO) 7-6 (5), 6-4
2. Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Stephen Nolan (STO) 6-2, 6-2
3. Juan Luis Chu (GAC) def. Andy Catania (STO) 6-3, 2-6, 10-5
4. Tyler Johnson (GAC) def. Jon Foss (STO) 6-1, 6-2
5. Joey MacGibbon (GAC) def. Charlie Reinertsen (STO) 6-0, 6-0
6. Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Matt Christensen (STO) 6-1, 6-2
1. Amrik Donkena/Mya Smith-Dennis (GAC) def. Knute Gunderson/Stephen Nolan (STO) 8-3
2. Daniel Pomeranc/Juan Luis Chu (GAC) def. Jon Foss/Charlie Reinertsen (STO) 8-4
3. Joey MacGibbon/Bradley Entwistle (GAC) def. Andy Catania/Ryan Abdella (STO) 8-0