The Gustavus men’s tennis team, which is ranked #5 in Division III, picked up an important 5-2 win over #10 Kalamazoo in Milwaukee on Sunday morning. The Gusties clinched the top seed in the Central Region with the win over the Hornets. Gustavus improved its overall record to 20-4 with the win.
The Gusties opened the match by winning the doubles point. At the #1 position, Adam Morgan and Brett Morse-Karzen lost to Michael Malvitz and Julian Seelan 8-5, however, the Gusties did manage to win the other two doubles matches as Ben Lundell and Jesse Brauer won at the #2 position and Andy Bryan and Roy Bryan won at the #3 position.
In singles, Gustavus clinched the match by winning four of the six matches. Ben Lundell won at #1, Adam Morgan at #2, Jesse Brauer at #3 and Andy Bryan at #4. Roy Bryan and
Brett Morse-Karzen lost close matches at #5 and #6, respectively.
1. Ben Lundell (GA) defeated Michael Malvitz (KC) 7-5, 7-5
2. Adam Morgan (GA) defeated Julian Seelan (KC) 6-3, 7-6 (3)
3. Jesse Brauer (GA) defeated Alec Kempster (KC) 6-3, 6-3
4. Andy Bryan (GA) defeated Matt Harding (KC) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
5. Dave Atallah (KC) defeated Roy Bryan (GA) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
6. Tim Hubbard (KC) defeated Brett Morse-Karzen (GA) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (4)
1. Malvitz/Seelan (KC) defeated Morgan/Morse-Karzen (GA) 8-5
2. Lundell/Brauer (GA) defeated Harding/Hubbard (KC) 8-6
3. A. Bryan/R. Bryan (GA) defeated Drew Brown/Kempster (KC) 8-4