The Gustavus men’s tennis team defeated Hamline University 5-4 at the Swanson Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. The Gusties improve to 18-5 overall and 7-0 in the MIAC.
The doubles matches were very competitive with Gustavus having to rally in both the #2 and #2 positions to claim close victories. In singles play, the Pipers won at the #1 and #2 positions to take a 3-2 lead. Gustavus tied the score at 3-3 when Danny Suchy won at #4, but then Hamline regained the lead at 4-3 when Jon Breimhorst defeated Will Butzlaff in a tiebreaker at the #3 position. The Gusties rallied once again to tie the match at 4-4 when Griffin Foley won at #6 and then Brian Laumeyer clinched the victory for Gustavus when he defeated Andy Hueller 6-2, 6-2 at the #5 position.
1. Ben Watkins (HU) defeated Kevin Stickney (GA) 7-5, 6-1
2. Jon Henning (HU) defeated Tim Gruenisen (GA) 7-5, 6-4
3. Jon Breimhorst (HU) defeated Will Butzlaff (GA) 7-5, 0-6, 10-7
4. Danny Suchy (GA) defeated Andy Carlson (HU) 7-6 (3), 6-0
5. Brian Laumeyer (GA) defeated Andy Hueller (HU) 6-2, 6-2
6. Griffin Foley (GA) defeated Patrick Hueller (HU) 6-1, 6-1
1. Watkins/Henning (HU) defeated Gruenisen/Butzlaff (GA) 8-5
2. Stickney/Suchy (GA) defeated Carlson/Breinhorst (HU) 9-8
3. Foley/Zenner (GA) defeated Richards/A. Hueller (HU) 9-7